Tuesday, September 29, 2026

Assignments for October 13, 2026

 Just a reminder: we're trying something new at the co-op--a Fall Break. So, no co-op classes next week, October 6. 

Spirit Day (Oct 13): Cowboy/cowgirl. Wear your Western gear. 

Journal: "What Is?" poem. This type of poem begins with the phrase "what is." Finish out the question. It could be happiness, a grandfather, school, grief, friendship, fun, etc. Write a poem of at least 6 lines explaining what that term means. Rhyming is optional. Here's a sample: 

What is happiness?

Happiness is a warm summer day,

An ice cream cone along the way.

It's a sprinkler to run through,

A dip in the pool,

A good friend to share them with--

That's really cool. 


Fix-it: Week 6


Upper Elementary/People and Places: I took up Lesson 4 "Pilots." Lesson 5 "Trains"--I checked rough drafts. I was looking to see if papers had a vocabulary word and an -ly adverb. We started Lesson 6 "Sending Things." We started the KWO on pages 50-51. We discussed the new requirement of new title (see p. 52). Page 53 has practice for the -ly adverb. Page 54 discusses an activity of addressing an envelope to later mail a copy of one of your papers. 

For homework: Lesson 5 "Trains." Final draft due with one -ly adverb (underlined) and one or both vocabulary words (also underlined). Lesson 6 "Mail Carriers." Finish the KWO, write a rough draft, review the title rule, and review the -ly adverb. 


Middle School/Investigations: I took up final drafts of Lesson 3 "Dead Sea." Lesson 4 we are not doing, but we did cover the new title requirement instructions and the who/which clause (a new dress up). 

Lessons 5 and 6 cover one assignment and a new unit--the Story Sequence Chart. We are pulling apart a story by asking questions. We worked on the KWO in class. (Contact me if you need copies of the KWO.)

For homework: Lesson 5 part 1--using the KWO we discussed in class, write three paragraphs. These do not need to be polished as yet. Lesson 6 will add to the paragraphs. Next time I will check drafts, we'll add dress ups, add the new element of alliteration, and create a new title. 


High School I

Prince Caspian: read chapters 12-13.

Narnia: Lesson 4 "Prunes, Prisms"--I took up rough drafts. 

Lesson 5 "Fix Your Eyes." We read page 39 and charted the story on page 42. We started the KWO. Pages 43-46 discuss the new dress up and banned words--quality adjective. 

For homework: Lesson 5 "Fix Your Eyes." Finish the KWO. Write a rough draft. Review the quality adjective discussion on pages 43-45. (We will be using the checklist with lesson 6 for any final draft you choose to write from the four lessons.)

High School II:
Fallacy Detective: work on Lesson 11 exercises pages 66-68,

Windows: We reviewed plot analysis. Lesson 5 covers the instructions and format for the first literary analysis essay. Please review the structure. I handed out sample suggestions for techniques and quotations. I gave out copies of the graphic organizer for the two paragraphs you will write. We talked about building the thesis.

For homework: Exercise 5 p. 64--instructions for the assignment. Fill in the blanks for the graphic organizer for the body paragraphs. Review pages 47-54.

Lord of the Flies: Read chapter 8. 

We did not add to the data center discussion today. 


No comments:

Post a Comment