Tuesday, March 3, 2026

Assignments for March 10, 2026

 Just two months of classes left. I know we are all getting weary. Let's push on a little longer.

Journal: Daylight Saving Time starts this weekend. You'll need to change your clocks. Your journal topic is somewhat related. Write an imaginative story about changing time to change the outcome of events. (Move the time forward or backward to change something that happened or may happen.)

Fix-it: Week 24


Bible Heroes: I took up final drafts of the Daniel story--all three paragraphs on one page with a new title. I checked drafts of Lesson 21, "John." We also started Lesson 22 "Mary." We started the KWO together. You will finish it at home. 

For homework: Lesson 21 "John" final draft. Use the checklist on page 123. For Lesson 22 "Mary," finish the KWO, write a rough draft, and do page 128 with ideas for dress ups.


Wonders of Science: I checked drafts of the last or all three paragraphs of the Einstein lessons. I see missing topic sentences. That means the clincher will also be wrong. I also checked the Works Consulted entries. This needs to be a separate page. 

We started discussing our next lesson--inventive writing. (We will be skipping Lesson 19.) Lessons 20 & 21 are your first essay. Lesson 20 is the two body paragraphs. Lesson 21 will add the introductory and concluding paragraphs. For Lesson 20, think of an invention that can have two uses. The example we discussed was the toothbrush. Beside brushing teeth, it can be used for cleaning and in art projects. The overall subject is toothbrushes (in the sample). Each paragraph would focus on one alternative use. Tell how it is used in four or more sentences. 

For homework: Polish the Einstein paragraphs. Make sure you have your dress ups and sentence openers identified. Make sure you have one title. For Lesson 20, try to think of an invention you can write about that has two alternative uses. See page 196.


High School I: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe: read chapters 15-16 (or finish the book). 

Narnia: I checked drafts of the essay. Do review the requirements for the introductory and concluding paragraphs. I saw missing titles of the book we're writing about. I saw other missing elements. We made some revisions to the checklist on page 122. The intro and concluding paragraphs do not have to have dress ups--extra credit. We also started out next lesson, working on Lesson 20 "Adolph Hitler." This is a summarizing a reference lesson. We are pulling facts that have to do with the losses of freedoms that Hitler imposed. We will go over/review the sentence openers next week.

For homework: White Witch 5-paragraph essay final draft--polish it. The checklist is on page 122. For Lesson 20 "Adolph Hitler"--finish the KWO and write your rough draft. (With this lesson, dress ups will be extra credit and sentence openers required.)


High School II: 

Blue Book: We covered the section on Numbers today. Complete the quizzes on pages 188-189. We will set aside the book for now, taking up the MLA handbook next.

Till We Have Faces: Read chapter 1 of Part 2.

Jensen's Format: I took up book reports. We reviewed the structure of business letters and envelopes. 

For homework: Write a final draft of a business letter with the instruction on page 149 or 153. Also, pre-read pages 195-200. 

Research Paper: I gave out a pile of papers today. Most are sources you can use to write your paper. I also gave out a handout (on blue paper) with easy instructions for creating your Works Cited entries. We reviewed the due dates for assignments. Last week I gave out a single sheet with some blank lines on it. That's the page with due dates. On the first line (for works cited entries for 5 sources), put next week--March 10. Dates after that are March 17, March 24, March 31, April 14, and April 21--final drafts due. Note that you will receive three grades, one will be for doing your work on time. The grading instructions and your topic are all on the paper that says, "Research Paper Specifics." I expect you to use at least some of the sources I have given you. If you do not, that makes me think you are not actually writing the paper. 

Due this coming week: Source cards or a sheet of paper with at least five sources written in MLA format for the citation. Start with the author's last name. Follow it with the title and other needed information. Also, try to read through as many of the sources as you can, making notes on possible quotes or facts you may want to use. 

No comments:

Post a Comment